Wednesday, July 23, 2008

We Fall

Installment #3 ~ In the Beginning

"Do you think that Adam and Eve would have sinned if they had the advantage of 'future sight'?" I asked this of my friend as we stood vigil over her husband who was in the emergency room. As I've mentioned before, I've dealt a bit too much with death lately, and although this episode with my friend was not life threatening, still it was another medical emergency and too much of this kind of stuff gets your mind thinking about deeper things of God. So I mused the question to her, "If they could have known about the hate, the jealousy, the anger, the envy, starvation, disease, and all the other horrors that we deal with today; if they had know that they would be banished from the Garden, if they had known that one of their sons would murder the other, would Adam and Eve have committed the original sin?"

We thought about that for a moment. I wanted to say, "No! Of course not!" But...today we do have that advantage. We live amongst the consequences of sin. On a daily basis, we deal with pride, selfishness, greed, sexual immorality of all kinds, sickness, pollution, you name it; even death, and yet knowing that, having that hind-sight, don't we still run to sin every day? Unfortunately, the answer is painfully, "Yes. Even if they knew, they would still have done it."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lately i have thinking about similar things. would i... what if... and your right, i probably would of done nothing different to change some things that have taken place.

i have learned from my past that its all been a teaching for the future... what, why, how i want to be treated and who i want to have in my circle of friends, acquaintances, and am thankful for the people currently in my life, the people in my past, and for any future people i will eventually fall in love with for whatever reason they end up in my life.

i am tired of the death that has sucked my life apart. thank you for the words of insight & wisdom!

god bless!

miss b~